10 things you need to know about ‘Mobilegeddon’
If the situation was a film the tagline would be, ‘today is the day – the online world is changing…forever!’ but our advice for you is not to panic.
As with all online changes, see the opportunity in change.
Still not sure what’s going on? Here are 10 things you need to digest:
- Google’s new algorithm will reward sites that are mobile friendly. This reflects the increase in people accessing the Internet via mobile devices
- The changes will ONLY affect mobile searches, not desktop or tablet. But still, if you’re getting more than half of your website visits from users searching on mobile, that’s a big hit to be taking
- You can use Google’s Mobile Friendly Test to see if your website will be affected by the changes
- Don’t panic. There are ways to make your site mobile friendly and Google has put together a small guide to help you out
- Work harder on your social media strategy in the meantime – your Facebook, Twitter and Google+ pages will all be highly visible on Google, with the right approach
- Research shows that out of 25,000 top ranked website, 10,000 are unsuitable for a mobile audience
- Up to 60% of website traffic is from a mobile device – seize the opportunity to go mobile while you remember
- The good news is, as soon as you’ve got your website sorted, it will return to its rightful place in the mobile search rankings
- Line spacing and font size are common features of a site that doesn’t pass the mobile friendly test
- All of the algorithm changes may take a few weeks to be completed, so don’t be fooled if your website isn’t mobile friendly but still showing high up on a Google search today